As a reminder, here's what I needed to do:
Line jacket and sleeves
- Take out "cheater cuffs" and sew them by hand like I was supposed to
Take facing of pants back into place (undone by my over zealous tightening of her suspenders) Widen upper buttonhole on jacket
Want to know how I did it? Let me take you on a pictoral journey. (If I can remember what all these were pictures of...)
P.S. This is really freakin' picture heavy, y'all. I took 15 pictures during this process. Consider yourself warned.
1. Reintroduce the household cats to the suit.
2. Cut out pattern pieces.
That sounds deceptively simple, doesn't it? "Cut out pieces." Oh, sure, no problem, I can do that. Wait, this jacket isn't lined, which means there aren't pattern pieces. But there is a facing, which means the jacket pieces aren't the same shape...
Here, you see what I did. I took the jacket pattern pieces, put the facing pieces on top of them, and the cut off the part of the jacket pattern that was covered by the lining (allowing for seams, of course). This made pattern pieces that roughly resembled the non-lined, non-faced part of the jacket. Did I know this was going to work ahead of time? Hell, no! But I figured it was worth a shot. And damned if it didn't actually work. I'm so smart sometimes.
3. Sew the resulting mutant pieces together.
Pin everywhere the lining touches the facing pieces. Pin all the seams in. Pin anywhere else you can think of. Then pin some more.
See, it had become something of a superstition here at Chez SilverRose: the costumes I bleed on are the ones that turn out. If I somehow manage to not, I end up with an ungodly mess that could only be improved by a little blood. This is only a problem when I am sewing an all white suit. And, following the advice in step #4, there were truly a ridiculous amount of pins in the jacket...
(Note: this step can be repeated as often as necessary. And no, I'm not going to tell you how many times I bled on it. Then Shoryl would know, too...)
6. Perform origami.
It was at this point that it occured to me that maybe I hadn't thought this quite through. Because there were two halves of a back slit, and I could only pin one of them down at a time... And the lining was going to have to be machine sewn to the fabric at the vents. I was faced with a quandry: pull out all (!) the pins I'd just put in, or think creatively. Yes, Virgina, it is possible to sew two pieces wrong side together that have already been pinned together with right sides together. It just takes some dexterity.
7. Pause to savor the cuteness.
Yes, this is an absolutely integral part of any sewing project. Any one who says differently doesn't have cats.
8. Sew the vents.
So, if I'm sewing the vents, why am I showing you this picture? Because this is the wonderful topstitching that previously graced the flap. That had to be taken out. I cried a little, maybe. Then I sewed the lining to the flaps, and put the topstitching back in. See why savoring the cuteness is necessary?
Here you see a bit of the desperation that accompanied my previous encounter with this suit creeping back in. I would have liked nothing better than to hand sew the jacket hems, but even I knew I didn't have time for that. So I machine sewed them. Without measuring them. They are... mostly even. Even enough for a lining, at least.
10. Make the sleeve linings.
Corollary: Realize, as you are pressing the lining, that you made two right sleeves. Which would be great if Shoryl was a mutant. Seeing as how her arms are in the usual spots...
11. Make the sleeve linings again.
Being awfully damn certain this time that you have one of each. Really. You've heard the phrase "measure twice, cut once?" Mine was "check 8 times. Cut halfway. Check again. Finish cutting."
12. Take the suit to a new location. Introduce more cats.
Blog, meet Screech, Shoryl's baby. She was happy to see me. She was even happier to shed on Mom's white suit. And chase the pins.
13. Tack down the pants lining.
Remember? That was on my list. Why am I tacking down the pants lining when the jacket isn't done? Because Shoryl was getting ready as I was sewing. Which means she needed the pants first. The jacket, should it become necessary, could be finished in the car. (It wasn't necessary: I finished with, oh, about 10 minutes to spare.)
14. Sew the sleeve lining carefully to the already-sewn in body lining.
As usual, when I fall behind on sewing, my picture taking suffers. So there is no picture of me sewing down the body of the lining. It was boring anyway. Trust me; I was there. Not that this isn't, but ... never mind.
That's all the steps to actually making the suit. The jacket was lined successfully, the alterations were made, and Shoryl looked fabulous. I didn't take more pictures of her in the suit because, frankly, you can't really tell the difference when she's wearing it.
But there is one more very important step...
15. Check the look of the suit when negligently thrown across a chair.
I leave it to your own imaginations as to how that picture came to be.
**I lie. There's one teeny thing I have to do yet. But that's just adding a loop so Shoryl has somewhere to hang her badge. Doesn't even count, really.